Did you know that there are many benefits to be bilingual? Research has shown that children who are bilingual tend to be more creative and are able to focus better as they can ignore distracting information and work on a task more effectively. This ability helps them to learn and process information readily and function well not only in school but other learning environments which they are in.
Take the opportunity to bond and enhance your child’s love for Mandarin this holiday with these two activity sheets which our Education Development Specialists have specially developed!
Parent-child Activity For Your Holiday Trip
Year-end is usually a popular time for families to go abroad for holidays. Besides broadening a child’s horizons, bringing them on an overseas trip can be a great opportunity to strengthen their language abilities and foster independence.
Before your holiday, discuss these with your child:
- Where would you like to go (Country/Place)? How will we get there?
- How is the weather in the country that we are visiting? What do we need to prepare?
- What do we need to bring along?
- What are the fun activities to do? Where would you like to go to the most? Why?
- What do we need to take note of when we travel? E.g. Do not wander off on your own etc.
- Before travelling, go through the checklist [download activity sheet] with your child and discuss if there are any other items to add to the list.
- Encourage your child to pack his/her own suitcase according to the packing list.
During the holiday:
- Get your child to observe and compare the differences between the holiday destination and Singapore such as the weather, architecture, language and food.
- Encourage your child to pack his/her own bag, bringing along items needed for the day’s activity.
After the holiday:
- Discuss with your child the differences he/she observed between the holiday destination and Singapore
- Go through the activity sheet [download activity sheet] together and have him/her write them out or present it in a drawing.